8.10.2009

Silence Is Golden

The other morning I was getting ready for my serenade, when Mom awoke right on schedule at 4:30am (without a single meow on my part - I was so proud). I watched her from across the room as she sat up in bed with a confused look. I could see her scanning the dark room for my whites.

She spotted me right away, and I got a good stretch in. She made her way to the bathroom, and kept looking around the door for me to follow her in. Usually I would be herding her along with mews, but she was doing so well I hung back enjoying my last bit of rest. She emerged for the bathroom and again looked confused.

"Finny? Are you okay?" She asked in hushed and concerned tones, as she administered some quality chin scritches. "How come you're not meowing? Are you hungry sweetie?"

In response, I got up and headed down the hallway with her close in tow. I took my position by my dish and waited for my meal in silence.

"Finny how come you won't say anything? You're not feeling sick are you?"

I responded with an enthusiastic rub of her shins as my breakfast prep continued. When she laid down my dish, I heartily dug in. I could tell she was worried for some odd reason, so I threw in a mew to show her I was far from speechless.

I just figured that since she was doing so well on her own there was no need to make a big fuss. Sometimes silence is golden.

29 comments:

  1. It's good to mix it up once in a blue moon. Keep her guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a cute one, Fin! Just keep those humans guessing. It's a pity that my SS just throws a pillow at me if I mieow, scratch or yank at her duvet any time before 6 am. You've got your mom well-trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great move on your part Fin! You are the master. You were smart to eat well otherwise you could have been hauled off to the v-e-t. Keep them guessing but make sure you take it right to the edge without going over. It's an art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got your Mummy very well trained. Smart idea to keep her on her toes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mommies get pretty worried when we don't follow the normal routine and not talk to us. I'm glad you were okay and just joking with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can learn from you! Don't our humans know we like a bit of variety too?

    Noir

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like how you keep your mom guessing, Fin...it was good of you to throw that little mew in at the end, just to let her know you're in control!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever of you to make her worry about you! Just be careful not to make her worry too much, as that usually results in a call to the V-E-T.

    Padre, Panda Bear, Meerkat, and Cookie and Caramel (the fosters)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right to throw her a curve ball once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great story! You have a wonderful way with words, darling! Now if only Melvin would learn that silence is golden when I'm trying to go to the potty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure know how to keep your momma guessing, don't you☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if you would have gotten the tuna fishies if you'd held out a bit longer?

    I gotta try this...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got you mom all worried Fin! Funny story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! Humans are funny, the way they think something is a bother until we suddenly don't do it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Humans and their worrying! Our Mom has this new thing where she doesn't feed us as soon as she gets up so that we don't associate her waking up with eating..she's so silly. It's not gonna work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We bet you had your mom worrying, Fin! You just wanted to keep her on her toes, is all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good training! She knew what you wanted before you even asked....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job, Fin! Keep 'em guessing, but not so much that they worry and do the v-e-t thing. You did great!

    Purrs and hugs,
    The Kitty Krew

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fin, you are GOOD, girl! You have got your hoomin so well trained she wakes up anyway! That rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That must have been very disconcerting for your Mom (tee hee) but it's our duty as a cat to keep them on their toes and guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Training the beans is a very tricky job sometimes. They need so much reassurance!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a perfect example of how well we senior catizens have trained our humans. Bravo Fin, bravo!!

    George

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are getting her trained very nicely. We have to scream and hollar for our beans to get up. ~Scylla & Charybdis

    Some of us wait silently for our beans to wake up, which they greatly appreciate. ~Socks & Fenris

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's so funny, Fin. Our mom's canNOT make up their minds..sometimes they tell us we're too noisy and then they worry when we're quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heh heh... "herding her along" Great phrase!

    Glad you tossed a mew in there, just to pacify her.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nicely done, Fin! Why say anything when there's no need?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haha! That's right Fin, keep her on her toes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GOod job, Fin! The Mom gets all worried, too, if our routines seem "off." heh heh

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awwww, your mommy is so wonderful, Fin! And you're the best mom trainer ever!

    ReplyDelete