7.22.2012

Mealtime Mystery

Mom here. I wanted to tell you all about a mysterious little habit Quill has.

He has two food dishes, one in the kitchen and one in our master bath. He eats out of both and they are identical bowls. They were both Fin's originally.

In the master bath he eats all the food, but in the kitchen he only eats half. Not just any half either... He eats the food off the side of the dish facing out, but he won't eat the food that collects on the opposite side of the dish.

At first I thought it was too far for him to reach, although he has plenty of room to eat from both sides, and it isn't a problem with the identical dish. I always pile in the middle, so he has to nose it over to the far edge.

I tried pushing the food back into the middle - he pushed it to the far edge and left it. I mixed it in with new food - and half of it (I suspect the correct half) was all pushed back to the far edge. I threw it all out and started over - half of it was pushed aside. I thought I was really smart, and I just turned the plate around - he ate the food on the far side and left the close side that had been the farther side.

One day I asked out loud "What's with the food on the other side Quill?" I'm not gonna say he talks, but I had this sudden mental connection form - Fin is on the other side too. I had this sweet thought that he was leaving food for her on the other side.

It suddenly made this odd quirk the sweetest thing. When I saw it, I imagined my girl waiting in the same spot for her meal. Of course she would have refused dry kibble and demanded gravy, but I was suddenly happy each time I saw it.

Anyway, a few days after I had this thought, I went out to the kitchen and found this arrangement...


I know it seems crazy, but seeing that little smiley face in kibble... well, I just think as crazy as it seems - there are bigger forces at work here.

34 comments:

  1. I love this but I have no idea what to say. There is a lot going on in those wee heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we see smiley face too. we also think Quill shares his nom nom with Fin
    pursss

    BoBo Salem
    Meow Meow Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a wonderful smiley face in the kibble. Yes, we think you should imagine Finn being on the other side of his bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That definitely sounds like something Fin would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having goosebumps and my eyes are teary.

    Truly Quill is sharing with Finny.
    God bless Quill and Finny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I have eyes that are feeling kinda leaky. I wish my Admiral would do that. How precious a sight to see. Thank you for telling us and better still adding the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fantastic!!! I love the smiley face in the kibble....cats know things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Mom Paula has a few leaky eyes thinking about this. We believe Fin is visiting Quill just like Sweet Praline talks to Brulee all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well of course he is living foods for Finn! She is making sure hes going to be OK!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. **SMILES** The Mommy is a bit leaky, but she's sure you're "spot on"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sure made Mommy smile. And now she's starting to tear up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww! Group hug!! Quill is a sensitive little fella!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're not sure what's going on at your house, but think it's cute. And who knows, Quill might indeed be leaving food for Fin. The mom's had a couple of experiences of Annie being around, which rather freaked her out since she actually doesn't believe in an "afterlife" as humans conceive of it, but who's to say? No one knows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love the smiley face in Quill's kibble - we think it looks as though one eye is winking!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. We believe in ghost kitties! What a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. purrrrrr

    This makes me so happy to know my furriend Finny is still hanging out watching over the wee one. The smile in the kibble says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We KNEW Quill was a smarty! Hi Fin!

    ::waves::

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that really is something, but we have to agree, that Quill is doing what Fin says and leaving her some food. Love the smiley face. That is just amazing. Have a great week and good work Quill.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally believe that Fin is there. I felt the spirit of my cat Sammie in my home after she passed. I have friends who sense the presence of family members who have passed on.
    The smiley face is a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so quirky! So funny! And so very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WE love it!!!

    purrs
    >^,,^<
    ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. FaRADaY: Mommy's going "awwwwwwww..."

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh WOW!!

    I am completely speechless and for ME that is a miracle......

    I would have to agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this and I see the smiley face. It sure seems like Quill is sharing with Fin, just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this and I see the smiley face. It sure seems like Quill is sharing with Fin, just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this and I see the smiley face. It sure seems like Quill is sharing with Fin, just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, that is just the sweetest thing. Kibble (and kitties) work in mysterious and magical ways.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I took Mom a bit of time to be able to comment...Mom and Dad do believe, and know in their heart of hearts...aniFamily members come around now again...they leave the RB...and drop by to make sure you don't forget to love your new aniFamily as much as you loved your OTRB aniFamily. Quill knows this...Fin is helping him learn...Mom woke 3 nights ago and hear my 'before me' brother Popcorn, snoring under the bed...nice

    ReplyDelete
  29. GET OUT!!!

    that's too funny. or spooky.

    ReplyDelete