3.21.2012

Bird Calls - Tweet Week

I've long suspected that my parents don't know everything. One area that I suspect they're close to clueless is in what to call the varieties of birds that live here in the desert. I think they have the big ones down - Doves, Pigeons, Sparrows, Mocking Birds, Hummingbirds and Crows. I'll even give them credit for recognizing Road Runners, although I've never seen one in person.

Here is where things start to break down. Any small bird, that is not a Sparrow or a Hummingbird, is called a Finch. Still I trusted them.

When they called the less than attractive medium-sized brown bird a Nevada Brown Bird - I began to doubt them.

I still believe Dad saw a "Monster Pigeon" (big as a small dog) even when Mom says it with a snicker. I will also go with his claims that he sees a Falcon sometimes.

When we saw a lovely sparrow-sized bird that had a yellow face which turned orange and eventually red on his chest, I had my doubts that it's real name was a Tequila Sunrise, but I let it go. I had no real proof.

Then the other day we saw a little Finch-sized tasty, er pretty, looking little bird. He was a bright chartreuse with a black face and black wings. When Daddy called him a Wilson, named after his resemblance to a tennis ball - well, I knew they were clueless for sure.

16 comments:

  1. To me all birds have one name: Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fin,
    Yeah...beans are indeed clueless. Why don't you ask them to order one of those humongous books on birdies from Amazon. Imagine the conversation you can have with Mitten. "Oh, the other day I tasted this mynah. Not as crunchy as a magpie or a cockatoo." Mitten will be mesmerised, I tell you. purrr....meow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOL!!! Your dad was sussed! We agree with Sparkle though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We agree with Sparkle and Eric and Flynn. We think your Daddy is getting silly what birdie would allow itself to be called Wilson!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My peeps are pretty clueless about the birds, too. Seems to run throughout the species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a bird called Wilson is quite likely!!!

    Funnily enough I’ve just put a clip on facebook that I took this morning of a bird singing! Can’t work out what it is, but it is probably just a robin lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fin, that is too funny. Actually, Sparkle has it right. Their names should all be tasty. Sounds like they have the important ones down pat. Love the one called Wilson. Mom is still laughing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fin, that is too funny. Actually, Sparkle has it right. Their names should all be tasty. Sounds like they have the important ones down pat. Love the one called Wilson. Mom is still laughing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ih yea Fin, nobody knows birds like we know birds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Fin
    Tee! Hee! Me thinks your people's names is just as meaningful as the other names peoples calls birds.
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our mom thinks all small birds are sparrows!! We agree with everybuddy that agrees with Sparkle...birdies are just tasty to us! (Like we've ever had a bird. Hey, we can dream, can't we??)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MOL! We're with Sparkle, too. Birds should be named "tasty" and "tastier."

    ReplyDelete