12.24.2011

Merry Christmas

Here is another post from my new human blog that you can find here or on Kindle by searching for Hart Stories or by my pen name Meg S Hart.

I don't know why this time of year gets me so nostalgic, but it does. Growing up Christmas was always a special time of year for me, and not just because of the presents either (although my former nickname of "Present Pig" would lead you to think differently). As a child we had a long break from school which allowed us to fly back east to Illinois from sunny California and spend the holiday at my Grandmother's house. My Grandmother was the Martha Stewart of her day.

She'd work so hard to make the holidays as special as she could. Everything from velvet ribbons on the polished apples to thoughtfully selected and beautifully wrapped gifts. One year she even had the groundskeeper tie red velvet ribbons on the flock of white pigeons they owned. Hm, that sounds kind of exotic doesn't it? Someday I'll tell you about the peacocks and then the pigeons won't seem exotic at all.Seriously, she had peacocks.

When my Grandmother passed I spent years boycotting Christmas. It made me too sad to see the world wrapped up in its Christmas finery when my Grandmother wasn't in the world to enjoy it. It was silly really. Who was I punishing?

I found Christmas again a couple of years ago, but now I am all in (not velvet-tied apples in - but who is?). I started to gather the glitziest, most sparkly ornaments I could find. Although my husband hates glitter because it "gets" everywhere, I even have sneaked some of them in too. I love ornaments that remind me of the way snow twinkles and frost both illuminates and obscures a window pane.

I love to sit in my quiet house and stare at my sparkly Christmas tree. If I can get my precious kitty on my lap and have a good book in my hand, well it's nothing short of perfection.

Life is like glitter, it's beautiful, it's messy and you never know where it's going to end up.

Happy Holidays to all our Friends!

30 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful post Meg. One of the best gifts I ever received is your friendship! Merry Christmas to you and the beautiful Fin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Fin, Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Meg, I love your decorations. I have to agree, nothing better than a good book and a purrfect cat in your lap. A special Merry Christmas to that floofy grandma cat, Miss Fin, and to you too Meg. We hope it is a good one. Hugs to Fin if she will let you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mantel is very beautiful, Meg. Happy Holidays to you, your husband, and especially sweet Fin.

    Wally, Ernie, Zoey and mom Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie and the "Girls"December 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM

    My favorite decoration is an ornament from my parents first Christmas in 1951 as a married couple! Its a glass ornament with stars and moons. It was always the first ornament hung on our tree! This ornament is always the first to go on the tree, except for the last couple of years for we have cats who love the tree!!! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so glad to hear you are doing better, gorgeous Finny...We are so blessed to have you guys in our lives; wishing you all a safe and Merry Christmas, precious friends...love and hugs...J, Calle, Halle, Sukki, Mommy Cat, Daddy Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, there is nothing better than sitting back in the recliner with a kitty and a book, but don't forget the glass of wine.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mom Meg,
    I think it's lovely way to spend special time with special furry kitty : )
    Merry Christmas to you , Fin and your family
    Have a wonderful time ! Ho Ho Ho !
    Love
    xoxo

    PS : I will be away for 3 weeks, see you when I get back : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm, I thought life was like cat litter, since that's messy too and you don't know where it will end up. Maybe a tad earthier than glitter....

    Mousie Catmas to Fin and to the humans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother sounds very sweet.
    Glad you found Christmas again... I love your decoration. So beautiful.
    We wish you a very Merry Christmas filled with happiness and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that line about life being like glitter, I hope you dont mind if I steal, I mean, borrow it! lol
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Life is like glitter, it's beautiful, it's messy and you never know where it's going to end up."....simply beautiful and so true...I adore the sparkly lights against the snow....just staring at the lights...beautiful.

    May you be blessed this Christmas and always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think a puppy would look glittery good in the stokhking!

    Happy HOWLidays!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas to Fin and Mom Meg and family.

    The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas! Your mantel is so lovely. We enjoy seeing it. - tonya

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mom loves the sparkly stuffs too! Hope you are having a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas, Meg! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my ~ I love all that you love! Christmas is my favorite time, the glitz and glitter, the glow and shine, the bright reds and rich greens ~ hours of shopping to find just the perfect little thing for a loved one or friend ~ it just seems as if life this time of year is sparkling! Loved reading this.
    Merry Christmas to you ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We want to hear about the peacocks!!!
    : )

    Merry Christmas sweet friends.
    XO
    Katie & Glogirly

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy that Fin is doin better! Wishing you all a furry Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Krismouse to you and your family!

    The Crew

    ReplyDelete
  22. We hope all of you at home had yourselves a furry Meowy Chrissymouse!!!

    ~Slash & Bronzy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sit in my house and stare at Christmas tree? Check!
    Reading good book? check!
    Kitty in my lap? Check!

    Are you my lost sister or what?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope y'all had a very Merry Christmas!!!!

    XOXO
    Maggie May and The Creek Cats

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Jolan, Son of Thorgal (although I suspect that is not your human name) I wanted to thank you for your comments lately but no blog? Anyway thanks. And you could be a lost sister I suppose - although I kept track of them... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This a wonderful post. Mine mommy gets nostalgic this time of year too. You capture her feelings very gud!
    Happy Holiday to you and our girl Fin!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Love,
    Tigger, Mom and Georgie!

    ReplyDelete